Choosing a Probiotic
- The quanity of live bacteria
- The health benefits you are looking for
- The condition(s) you are trying to treat
What to Look For:
- Probiotics may contain 1 billion to 900 billion CFU. Pick one with at least 50 billion CFU of the most important groups of probiotic bacteria.
- Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria. Make sure the product contains multiple compatible strains of bacteria designed to work together, since different strains have different functions and no one strain can provide all the benefits.
- Most robust probiotics contain at least 7 different strains. Choose a probiotic with eccentric coating to protect the bacteria from being destroyed by stomach acid.
Choosing a Probiotic:
- Make sure the product has a good safety record on humans. Check the internet to see whether any clinical trials or other scientific studies have been done to assess side effects, or whether the manufacturer provides any safety information. Make sure this data has not been corrupted by a financial relationship between probiotics manufacturers and health companies.
- Investigate whether or not it has activity against pathogenic bacteria.
- Understand the shelf life and storage requirements/whether the product should be refrigerated.
- The product should have evidence that the claimed amount of live bacteria is actually present. Bacteria can often be killed during transportation from sunlight/temperature/improper handling and storage.
Harmful Fermented Foods
Why fermented foods might be doing more bad than good for your gut health
How is this possible?
For those who suffer from Candida (yeast overgrowth in the bowels), consuming fermented foods actually feeds the bad bacteria instead of the beneficial bacteria! Candida albicans releases toxic byproducts that diffuse into the bloodstream and reach the brain, causing fatigue and brain fog.
Foods to watch out for:
- Nutritional yeast
- Kombucha (pictured above)
- Other yeast fermented foods
When someone tells me they drink greens powders and take generic probiotics…
STOP THE MADNESS!
Click the link down below to hear my response to these trendy topics!
Source: THE MICROBIOME SOLUTION: A RADICAL NEW WAY TO HEAL YOU INSIDE AND OUT, ROBYNN CHUTKAN