Hey guys! Hope your #gallonchallenge is going well! Just thought I’d share this article written by one of my friends Chelsey (check out her blog here) to keep you motivated through your gallon challenge journey! Good luck and don’t forget to post your #gallonchallenge #waterporn on instagram! Haha!
Drink to Shrink by Chelsey Brooke Hallblade
Trying to shed a few pounds for summer? It might be as simple as increasing your daily water intake. Here are a few simple tips to increase your daily water intake and help you lose weight!
- Think before you eat. Your mind can often confuse thirst with hunger. So next time you feel like you have the munchies, try drinking a full glass of water first. If you’re still hungry after that, then go ahead and eat. If not, you were just thirsty.
- Drink a full glass of water before every meal. This will help you to feel fuller faster. It may also cause you to eat slower, resulting in eating less during a meal.
- Replace soda or other sugary drinks with water. This will not only cut out calories, but also make you feel so much better through the day! I used to work overnight shifts at the hospital. I started drinking lots of soda to stay awake. It would give me an initial energy boost, but I would be left feeling lethargic in the end. I gave up drinking soda and now only have it as an occasional treat. I feel so much and better and actually have more energy without it!
- Drink cold water! Your body has to use more energy (or calories) in order to warm up the water you drink. Cold water = More calories burned.
- Set a goal for how much water you want to drink each day. Your body needs at least 8 glasses per day. However, to lose weight, you should drink even more. Fitness competitors drink up to a gallon per day to stay hydrated and help with fat loss. Did you know water actually helps boost your metabolism? So….Drink up!
- Buy plenty of water bottles. Always have easy to grab water bottles on hand. I like the insulated ones to keep my water cold.
I have heard from many people that they don’t like drinking water. I think that’s weird because I LOVE water. If you are that person that doesn’t like drinking plain water, get creative. I sometimes make my own vitamin water at home. This adds flavor to the water and adds lots of vitamins and minerals to it! You can also buy flavored water from the store, but try to avoid any that contain lots of artificial sugars in them or have calories.
I added orange and lemon slices because I like a citrusy taste. You can add anything you want like cucumbers, berries, or mint leaves. Get creative!